At Lurn, J-O-B is a 4-Letter Word...Play!
We believe that work is play and play is work. Work has to be fun, educational, and make you leap out of bed so excited, you can't wait to get started. The traditional 9-5 is dead. It's being reincarnated as getting paid to play, create, learn, and grow...like being a kid again...but with pay! Welcome to Lurn, Inc.
At Lurn, Inc. we don't measure our profit in dollars...We measure it in success stories.
We believe that profit comes from the value that we deliver. Our customers' success becomes our success. That is our true profit. No matter what role you fit into, you'll be playing a crucial part in forming those success stories and transforming lives across the planet. Every organ of Lurn, Inc. is channeled towards creating those success stories.
Lurn Inc (formerly VSS Mind Media Inc.) is a high growth company delivering on-line education, digital publishing, and enabling technologies. We are a self-funded, independent, and have been in business for over a decade. We foster an entrepreneurial and team spirit around a set of key core values of respect, integrity, doing the impossible, and making dreams into reality. The company offers a very competitive employee package including bonus incentives and complete benefit package paid for primarily by the company.
Location: Rockville, MD
Under the general supervision of the Controller, the Bookkeeper performs a wide variety of duties related to cash, accounts payable, accounts receivable, expense reimbursement and payroll. The Bookkeeper ensures timely preparation of invoices, application of customer payments upon receipt, processes expenses for reimbursement, processes payroll, reconciles and analyzes various general ledger accounts, manages merchant accounts and analysis, and prepares appropriate journal entries based on findings. Must be comfortable with responsibilities working on-site.
Major Responsibilities & Duties
- Prepare and process account activity for multiple merchant and bank accounts, ensuring that all revenue collected via PayPal, credit cards etc. is properly coded and recorded.
- Process semi-monthly payroll and commissions; record all vacation and sick time taken.
- Responsible for accounts receivable and bank reconciliations.
- Responsible for expense report processing and answering questions about receipts required.
- Responsible for accounts payable processing (coding invoices, reviewing, and payments).
- Research discrepancies from reconciliation and propose correcting entries.
- Analyze and prepare credit card monthly expense allocation.
- Assist with month-end closing including account reconciliation and journal entries.
- Process all approved refunds as well as monthly journal entries.
- Assist with preparation of financial statements and review with the Controller.
- Assist with billing and revenue reconciliations.
- Respond timely to internal inquiries, external requests and audit requests.
- Perform other finance operational duties and support ad hoc projects as required.
- Suggest or assist with process and/or system enhancements.
Required Qualification & Skills
- Minimum associates degree in Accounting; bachelors in Accounting preferred.
- Minimum three - five years’ prior accounting experience in A/R, A/P, QuickBooks, payroll.
- Strong multi-tasking skills; organized and attentive to details.
- Familiarity with a CRM system such as Salesforce is a plus.
- High level of initiative and ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to use sound judgment to effectively solve problems within the scope of the position.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience reconciling bank accounts, credit card accounts, and Paypal